Re: [opensuse] openSUSE on SSD?
  • From: C <smaug42@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2010 13:50:02 +0200
On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 13:11, Anton Aylward wrote:
I don't understand this obsession with booting.

If my file system is already in RAM ....

It's one aspect. For a server.. it's not so interesting... for a
desktop machine that is restarted into other OS installs it starts to
be a factor.

The key factor for me considering SSD drives on my main machine is/was
to speed up general I/O. As Graham has pointed out, using an SSD so
everything loads fast all the time (assuming you are using a good
quality SSD with high throughput vs cheap ones with low data rates).

Another consideration... RAM drive. If I've got.. say.. 16GB or more
of system RAM.. what about pre-loading the entire OS into a
RAMdrive... that could be.. interesting. Reminds me of the i-RAM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I-RAM but I digress.

On that note, I've been running my system with noatime now for a
couple of days... the only difference I've seen (compared to the
defaults from an 11.2 install on ReiserFS) is that OOo now takes
forever to open the file dialogs to open/save as. I don't know if
this is related to noatime or something else I've done (I'm a
compulsive tinkerer so PEBKAC is entirely possible).

C.