Re: [opensuse] openSUSE on SSD?
  • From: Graham Anderson <graham.anderson@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2010 12:52:55 +0200
On Wednesday 02 June 2010 12:46:56 Anton Aylward wrote:
Graham Anderson said the following on 06/02/2010 12:09 AM:
On Tuesday 01 June 2010 13:53:30 Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
Really? I've seen demonstrations of that and not been impressed. You
could get, IMNSHO, a bigger performance boost by spending that same
amount of money on a lot more RAM.

This is not really true at all, not for anyone that already has enough RAM
to avoid excessive swapping. You could have 64GB of RAM and your apps and
boot will not be any faster because your still blocked on the bottleneck
of your mechanical drives.

Yes, it is true.
You've done a switcheroo.
You've focussed solely on booting.

No, I specifically mention "apps" as well.

Swapping isn't only the reason to hit the disk.
Starting new applications requires searching the directory trees and
inodes, paging in blocks that weren't already in memory. Ditto opening
files. Having more memory means these too can be 'cached' - or at least
not paged out ONCE THEY ARE READ IN.

And the first time you read the files when launching your app, pray tell
exactly how having more RAM will help me here?

Yes, context is everything ;)

--
“What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof.”
- Christopher Hitchens