Re: [opensuse] openSUSE on SSD?
  • From: Graham Anderson <graham.anderson@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2010 06:09:08 +0200
On Tuesday 01 June 2010 13:53:30 Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
Really? I've seen demonstrations of that and not been impressed. You
could get, IMNSHO, a bigger performance boost by spending that same
amount of money on a lot more RAM.

This is not really true at all, not for anyone that already has enough RAM to
avoid excessive swapping. You could have 64GB of RAM and your apps and boot
will not be any faster because your still blocked on the bottleneck of your
mechanical drives.

You really need to use an SSD and then try to go back to using mechanical
disks. The difference is very noticeable. From grub boot menu OS selection
to fully loaded KDE4 desktop (with all the previous apps that were running in
the last session) in under 10 seconds.

There are some applications that even the fastest mechanical drives in the
world (raptors) don't help with. Loading a workspace with a large source tree
into an Eclipse IDE installation with a number of plugins is painfully slow
from mechanical disks. Using an SSD in this case, and many others brings
noticable and tangible real world benefits.

Yes, they are still too damn expensive, but I could not work without them now.
Using mechanical drives after using an SSD is rather like pulling out most of
your RAM and heavily using swap.

--
“What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof.”
- Christopher Hitchens