Re: [opensuse] openSUSE on SSD?
  • From: C <smaug42@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2010 14:04:38 +0200
On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 13:53, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
This is one of those conflicts of information I see.  Some people say
it's a default so no worries.. then the next says.. no way, you have
to set this option or... the world will end... or your SSD will
fail... whichever comes first.

The world will end - the question is just "when?" :)

Or, it's already ended and no one noticed :-)

There is no harm in using the noatime setting;  I've been using noatime
on all my production servers and my own laptop/workstation for years
with no problem.  No modern application cares about atime and it isn't
even useful for auditing.

Hmmm I think it's time for me to read up more on atime. I need to
understand it better.

Really?  I've seen demonstrations of that and not been impressed.  You
could get, IMNSHO, a bigger performance boost by spending that same
amount of money on a lot more RAM.  I've got spinning disks and 6GB of
RAM and apps start pretty close to instantly.  An order-of-magnitude
difference I doubt would even be noticeable.

That's the bit that is confusing me. I've seen uber fast startup, and
application launch times and seen people chatting about exactly that
on forums (granted the majority were Windows users, but some Linux
too). Then I go somewhere else in my random searches, and the next
discussion or comment is essentially the same as yours.... benchmarks
show there is essentially zero difference. I wonder, are those
benchmarks on the cheapy drives (which are def slower) or the higher
priced and faster drives?

If you believe that is true then it makes sense to use SSD.

I want to believe... oh wait, that's X-Files. I'm still undecided
about the SSD performance... the comments here have been...
interesting. I still have time to research it :-)

C.