Re: [opensuse] vmware and keyboard layout
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2010 08:20:50 +0200

On Monday, 2010-05-31 at 09:22 +0200, Roger Oberholtzer wrote:

On Mon, 2010-05-24 at 17:46 +0200, Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
On Mon, 2010-05-24 at 17:30 +0200, Carlos E. R. wrote:

Dunno about kde, I use gnome.

anyone else have this odd behavior

A year or so ago. Wrote a bugzilla about it. Not linux/suse fault, but we
found a way to try restore the keyboard.

Are you using vmware server 1 or 2? I had that problem with version 1.

I used to use Workstation. I am now using Player. I only do this ti run
Explorer and MS Java to do my time reports. Under great protest....

A bit more information: The keyboard mess-up happens when, in the
virtual machine, I press ALT_CTRL_DEL to get a login. We use Novell
Client for Windows. When that starts in the VM, the keyboard in
everything outside vmware is messed up. I am checking if they have
updated the NCW or some settings. But even if that was the case, how
could vmware let some client app mess up the host?

It is more complicated than that.

It is the host who gets all input. The vmware console or webthing does
some capturing and passes it to the client - and aparently it does some
modification on the keyboard handling of special keys, I don't know why.
Somehow, it confuses when the control is of the guesto or the host, and
sends those modifications to the wrong one.

The result is that the host keyboard is messed up.

I have never managed to use ctrl-alt-supr on a client, by the way, but I
haven't investigated it much.

All this worked fine up until about a few weeks ago. I really do not
think I updated vmware when it happened. So it was either the kernel or
X. But IIRC the console is also messed up. So I would not think it is X.
I am at a loss as to how to proceed. What I must do now is reboot after
each time I use vmware to run Windows XP. This is not fun, because in
addition to that, I cannot use the rest of the system at the same time.
Ever try running vi when you can't use the ':' (a shifted key on a
Swedish keyboard) or caps? Good luck.

No one knows of a command to reset the keyboard to the boot state? I
cannot believe that there is no such command. I trued the rc script that
sets up the keyboard (kbd) but that did not help.

--
Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems / Ramböll RST

Ramböll Sverige AB