Re: [opensuse] VirtualBox
  • From: Ken Schneider - openSUSE <suse-list3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 May 2010 10:41:31 -0400
On 05/15/2010 09:21 AM, Mark Goldstein pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
Stan,

On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 1:17 PM, Stan Goodman
<stan.goodman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
The package is: VirtualBox-3.1-3.1.8_6139_openSUSE111-1.x86_64.rpm.
According to the VB download page this is suitable for both oS 11.1 and
11.2. The system is 11.2.

Installing VirtualBox is very easy, I have done it several times. This
time, however, I failed to install the kernel sources first.

I installed the sources after being reminded by the installation, and
tried again, only to be told that VirtualBox is already installed.

The answer to that seemed to be to uninstall it and install afresh, but
instead I was told that there was nothing to uninstall. So it both is and
isn't.

How to recover from this?

Probably there is a way to cleanup the database, but I would try
downloading the package
VirtualBox-3.1-3.1.8_6139_openSUSE111-1.x86_64.rpm from repository and
then installing it locally with rpm -i --force. I guess, this will
override the partial info in the package db.

The better way would be to use -u --oldpackage instead of --force.

--force should only be used as an absolutely last ditch effort.

--
Ken Schneider
SuSe since Version 5.2, June 1998