Re: [opensuse] Confused by hard drive naming/position /dev/sda vs hd0 etc,
  • From: David Haller <dnh@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 22:09:46 +0100
Hello,

On Mon, 15 Mar 2010, Carlos E. R. wrote:
On Sunday, 2010-03-14 at 06:16 +0100, David Haller wrote:
On Sat, 13 Mar 2010, Carlos E. R. wrote:
Is it my fault that SATA drives dissapear from the bios if ahci is
activated in the bios?

Weird. Do you get a "AHCI Controller" screen after the normal BIOS
screen and before the resource listing (that with the IRQs)? I get
that with the AMI Bios on a Gigabyte board. What board/BIOS do you
have? (just curious)

See my other post wit links to photos to what I see. When I attempt to
boot in AHCI mode I see this:

I followed up there.

Board is MSI P45 Diamond, (dmidecode says: MS-7516). Bios is "American
Megatrends Inc.", which I assume is "AMI", V1.5, 10/10/2008.

Ah.

The choices I have, and it is a new board, are
"ide, raid, ahci". I have to use "ide", which in fact means sata, hotplug
and all working fine.

AFAIR hotplug and NCQ work only in AHCI mode ...

Hotplug is indeed working for me, and it is in in IDE mode. See
photos.

Weird. It shouldn't, as IDE-mode does not support connect/reconnect,
maybe your board cheats :))

NCQ I don't know what it is.

"Native Command Queueing", i.e. the Controller can reorder requests to
better fit data-layout on disk, i.e. it can reduce head movement
significantly if e.g. two processes request data from opposite ends of
the disk. Without NCQ it might be:

process1: get sector 600
process2: get sector 160000
process1: get sector 601
process2: get sector 160001

With NCQ, the disk can change that to

process1: get sector 600
process1: get sector 601
process2: get sector 160000
process2: get sector 160001

You get the gist? More here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCQ

HTH,
-dnh

--
"Any setuid root program that does an exec() somewhere is just a less
user friendly version of su." -- Olaf Kirch on bugtraq 2000-08-07