Re: [opensuse] Confused by hard drive naming/position /dev/sda vs hd0 etc,
  • From: David Haller <dnh@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 21:40:04 +0100
Hello,

On Sun, 14 Mar 2010, Carlos E. R. wrote:
It is created either manually or by YaST during installation and used
by grub when booting. Just edit that file and then try to boot but
have a rescue system at hand to undo your changes.

On one machine, I have:

(hd0) /dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST3500418AS_5VM2RSY4
(hd2) /dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST3500418AS_5VM2RW2E
(hd1) /dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST3500418AS_9VM7ZCQQ

On another install in the same machine, I got sda, sdc, sdb (from memory).
On another disk of that machine, I have:

(hd0) /dev/sda
(hd1) /dev/sdb
(hd2) /dev/sdc

All done by oS 11.2

Go figure. I tried to change the order to hd0, hd1, hd2, in the order of
the connectors of the motherboard... and then it would not boot. Now I
leave things as they are, changes are too unpredictable.

You may need to reinstall grub (at least) if you change the mapping of
the disk that grub's stuff resides on. Grub needs to know what actual
drive his stuff resides on.

BTW: I have '(hd0) /dev/sda' in my device.map, and it worked over
a mobo- and later hdd-switch, as described elsewhere.

-dnh

--
"Does anyone else sense the deep irony in a 'Family size' pack of condoms?"