Re: [opensuse] Confused by hard drive naming/position /dev/sda vs hd0 etc,
  • From: Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2010 20:44:38 -0400

On Sunday, 2010-03-14 at 12:03 -0400, Greg Freemyer wrote:

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 7:10 PM, Carlos E. R. <> wrote:

On Friday, 2010-03-12 at 17:37 -0500, Greg Freemyer wrote:

You must not have your MB controller set to use AHCI.  You control
that via you bios settings.

I strongly suggest you use AHCI if you can.  It is the linux preferred
way to talk to a SATA drive.

In my case, if I do that the disks disappear.

I would seriously file a bug and qualify it as a regression.  The core
linux ata devs are pushing AHCI as the preferred interface and working
to get it fully supported.

They dissapear from the BIOS. The bios sees no disk in the system, so there
is no grub, so there is no kernel, so there is no system. To whom do I
report? Kernel guys?... good grief, they can't do anything.

This is what the bios sees in IDE mode.

http://picpaste.com/Imagen0148.jpg

I change to AHCI mode:

http://picpaste.com/Imagen0150.jpg

This are the possibilities the bios offers:

http://picpaste.com/Imagen0151.jpg

And finally, this is what the bios says it sees with the three interfaces in
AHCI mode. ¡All hard disks have disapeared!

 http://picpaste.com/Imagen0152.jpg

Bizarre.

Looks like a bios bug to me. If you care enough you could check for
bios updates.

Greg