Re: [opensuse] Confused by hard drive naming/position /dev/sda vs hd0 etc,
  • From: David Haller <dnh@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2010 06:11:14 +0100
Hello,

On Sat, 13 Mar 2010, Philipp Thomas wrote:
On Sat, 13 Mar 2010 00:48:36 +0100, you wrote:
That depends. If you have just one SATA-Driver in the initrd
(e.g. ahci or sata_nv), the devices get reliably enumerated here.

At least according to our kernel developers it's still nothing to rely
on.

Of course not. But if so, it's easy to change. Here it's stable, as I
take care of having only one driver in the initrd, and unless that
driver does things differently at times, no worries.

But look at the "fun" you'll have fixing your fstab and grub menu.lst
(root= kernel-parameter).

There really isn't such a problem. Boot a rescue system and look into
its /dev/disk/by-id and use the name matching your disk. But I agree
that by-id doesn't help in all cases.

I meant: ok, now you've booted e.g. the SUSE rescue-system and want to
change the IDs in fstab and grub's menu.lst.

$ ls /dev/disk/by-id/...

Hm. Which one of those is it? Ok, it should be .....-part3.
<fx:moves mouse, try to select the id>
Darn. No gpm.

So, how do you get the id into the two files? Of course, you could
boot a live DVD/CD with X and Mouse, or a console-livesystem with GPM.
Or save the ls output to a file, and use an editor opening both files
to do the C&P. Still sucks. Or write down the ID and enter it manually
(good luck with tyops). I'd rather change e.g. /dev/sda3 into
/dev/sde3 or whatever and can do that with just about any editor or
even plain bash and a bit of pattern matching/replacing magic ;)

I simply have /dev/sda3 in fstab and as
kernel-parameter and didn't have to change a thing.

Pure luck.

Not really ;) I've only had disks "moving" when I booted a live-DVD
(Ubuntu or Knoppix) that loaded both drivers in reversed order, so my
sda3 became sdg3.

BTW: splash=native is a must! :) Don't ever nobody hide no useful
kernel messages from me![1]

There's a IMNSHO better way and that's splash=verbose. That way you
keep the background image (in case you choose something more pleasing
than the default).

Image? What image? Is there an image? Oh, I remember a "verbose" boot
during installation. Horrid. Guess what's just about the first thing I
change during bootmanager installation?

-dnh

--
"Power corrupts, but the power of duct tape corrupts absolutely"
-- "Florence Ambrose", on noticing the roof panels of the space ship