Re: [opensuse] Confused by hard drive naming/position /dev/sda vs hd0 etc,
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2010 14:01:47 +0100 (CET)

On Saturday, 2010-03-13 at 12:57 +0100, C wrote:

I strongly suggest you use AHCI if you can.  It is the linux preferred
way to talk to a SATA drive.

You nailed it. I set the controller to use AHCI (and set SATA Port4/5
to SATA instead of the default IDE), reset the drive order so that my
boot drive was first... and rebooted. Each installed Linux
distribution now sees the drives in the same order, assigns the same
/dev node (not that critical I know, but nice to see) etc. Gentoo no
longer sees two of the drives as IDE... it's all SATA now, and
identical across all installs. That's the result I was aiming for.

Lucky you :-)

Next step is putting all the advice here to work, and getting the
various Grubs sorted out. I would prefer a single GRUB with all
possible bootable OSes in the list... and the openSUSE one is what I'm
aiming to get working (since openSUSE is my main OS, the others are
just to tinker with) - right now I'm booting all OSes off the Ubuntu
Grub. Either way... sep Grubs or a single Grub... I think... I think
with all the info in this thread, I should be able to get it sorted
:-)

The problem is updates and upgrades. Each install will modify what it thinks is the correct grub, which is not... so you have to remember to adapt the correct one each time.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.