Re: [opensuse] Confused by hard drive naming/position /dev/sda vs hd0 etc,
  • From: C <smaug42@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2010 12:57:20 +0100
On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 23:37, Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
You must not have your MB controller set to use AHCI.  You control
that via you bios settings.

I strongly suggest you use AHCI if you can.  It is the linux preferred
way to talk to a SATA drive.

You nailed it. I set the controller to use AHCI (and set SATA Port4/5
to SATA instead of the default IDE), reset the drive order so that my
boot drive was first... and rebooted. Each installed Linux
distribution now sees the drives in the same order, assigns the same
/dev node (not that critical I know, but nice to see) etc. Gentoo no
longer sees two of the drives as IDE... it's all SATA now, and
identical across all installs. That's the result I was aiming for.

Does setting to use AHCI do anything for drive access speeds?

Next step is putting all the advice here to work, and getting the
various Grubs sorted out. I would prefer a single GRUB with all
possible bootable OSes in the list... and the openSUSE one is what I'm
aiming to get working (since openSUSE is my main OS, the others are
just to tinker with) - right now I'm booting all OSes off the Ubuntu
Grub. Either way... sep Grubs or a single Grub... I think... I think
with all the info in this thread, I should be able to get it sorted
:-)

C.