Re: [opensuse] Confused by hard drive naming/position /dev/sda vs hd0 etc,
  • From: C <smaug42@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2010 12:10:38 +0100
On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 21:09, Carlos E. R. <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
SATA0 = 1TB (main drive with 4 partitions for various Linux
distributions, 1 swap and 1 /home)
SATA1 = 1TB (data drive1, single partition)
SATA2 = 500GB (data drive2, single partition)
SATA3 = 500GB (data drive3, single partition)
SATA4= 320GB (Windows drive)

And how do you know that SATA 0 is 0 and not, say, 3? :-)

Ummm.. well.. Based on the SATA0 label on the motherboard, and the
fact that the drive is the first one detected by the BIOS... so based
on that.. I am calling it SATA0 :-)

/dev/sda = SATA2
/dev/sdb = SATA3
/dev/sdc = SATA4
/dev/hdc = SATA0
/dev/hdd = SATA1

Note that this time the two 1TB drives are picked up as hdc and hdd
instead of sdd and sde.

huh? :-o

Exactly. But.. the replies on this thread got me to poke the BIOS a
bit more, and I think maybe I've uncovered part of the reason for
this... maybe. I have three advanced options for my onboard SATA
controler(s).... One to enable it... One to set the SATA type (Native
IDE, RAID, or AHCI) and the third... which might be the root of the
weird drive order and detection... it's called "OnChip SATA Port4/5
Type" and I can choose between As SATA Type and IDE. The help for the
IDE setting says that the SATA Port 4/5 Work at IDE mode. So..
guessing here... what I've been calling SATA0 and SATA1 are on
Port4/5... and it was set to IDE mode... so in the case of Gentoo, it
picked up the drives as IDE... thus hdc and hdd. The reason.. and I'm
guessing here.. that it's hdc and hdd is because that controller looks
to be sharing with the PATA controller in some way and the unused IDE0
and IDE1 would be picked up as hda and hdb? As I said.... just
guessing while I try to figure this all out.

Otherwise, you have one grub in the MBR, as master grub, and this will load
another grub (in any
boot partition) as needed, chaining menus - but "makeactive" will not work.
The advantage is that
you need not use primary partitions and the number of grubs is not limited.

This might be ultimately the way I'll go with it... once I can get it
all sorted :-P

C .