Re: [opensuse] Confused by hard drive naming/position /dev/sda vs hd0 etc,
  • From: Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 17:37:32 -0500
I installed Gentoo on the 7th partition of SATA0 (dev/sdd7)... but
fdisk -l from the Gentoo install sees the drives differently than
openSUSE... it sees the drives like this:

/dev/sda = SATA2
/dev/sdb = SATA3
/dev/sdc = SATA4
/dev/hdc = SATA0
/dev/hdd = SATA1

Note that this time the two 1TB drives are picked up as hdc and hdd
instead of sdd and sde.  This causes me all sorts of problems..
including a complete failure to boot with an error about no valid root
device - which is what led me to start poking into this drive stuff.

You must not have your MB controller set to use AHCI. You control
that via you bios settings.

I strongly suggest you use AHCI if you can. It is the linux preferred
way to talk to a SATA drive.

And to the best of my knowledge there is no /dev/hdx interface in
linux for controllers in AHCI mode.

There is for some of the other modes which attempt to export your new
SATA drives out via older legacy interfaces.

Fixing this is just the first step, but I suggest you go ahead and fix
it first, then try to resolve the other issues you have.

Greg