Re: [opensuse] Practicalities of IPv6
  • From: "John E. Perry" <j.e.perry@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 10:48:14 -0400
James Knott wrote:
John E. Perry wrote:
OK, I've been watching this thread with great interest, and I still
don't understand well enough to know the answer:

Thank you, James; you seem to be the only one who understood my question...

My home network is based on a wifi/router/firewall. I buy one line
from Cox. As I understand it, more IP addresses would cost
correspondingly more; I know this was true for my previous IP.

According to the spec, the ISP is supposed to give you a huge block
of addresses (/64?), so you won't have to pay more.

This was the first point of my question: I don't want to have to buy
half a dozen addresses. (BTW, I just saw my error below -- I of course
meant 192.168.x.x).

So it's very convenient for me to buy one address, connect my
Netgear to it, and use dhcp for the half-dozen devices I have in my
home. Since 198.162.x.x addresses cannot pass through a router, my
network is private, and the firewall, set up to ignore all attempts
at external access, makes me invisible to the Internet unless one
of my computers initiates a transaction.

How does ipv6 handle this?

IPv6 includes local network ranges that are not passed over the
internet. One range can be routed internally and another cannot.
Either of those can be used, according to your needs. You also do
not need a DHCP server as your addresses (yes, you can have more than
one) are based on your MAC address.

And this took care of the second point. I do not, and do not intend to,
implement a public server of any kind, or manage my network remotely, or
do anything else that might require me to open any of my network to
externally initiated transactions.

So, I have no reason, apparently, not to go ipv6 except that my wireless
router (Netgear WPN824v2) doesn't support it. If I ever want to change
it out, I won't have to ignore ipv6 offerings, then.

jp