Re: [opensuse] Practicalities of IPv6
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 07:41:16 +0100
John E. Perry wrote:

My home network is based on a wifi/router/firewall. I buy one line
from Cox. As I understand it, more IP addresses would cost
correspondingly more; I know this was true for my previous IP.

That has usually been the case with IPv4 where IP-addresses were a
limited resource.

So it's very convenient for me to buy one address, connect my Netgear
to it, and use dhcp for the half-dozen devices I have in my home.
Since 198.162.x.x addresses cannot pass through a router, my network
is private, and the firewall, set up to ignore all attempts at
external access, makes me invisible to the Internet unless one of my
computers initiates a transaction.

How does ipv6 handle this?

I don't know how this looks from the ISP side, but I read somewhere,
probably wikipedia, that the recommendation is for the ISP to dish out
a /64 network when someone asks for a static address. That is
18446744073709551616 addresses. You give one to each of your boxes
that need external access, and configure your firewall to only accept
inbound traffic for your open services.

/Per

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (6.6°C)