Re: [opensuse] Practicalities of IPv6
  • From: "John E. Perry" <j.e.perry@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 01:16:25 -0400
OK, I've been watching this thread with great interest, and I still
don't understand well enough to know the answer:

Matthias Bach wrote:
Hi!

Am Freitag 23 Oktober 2009 11:28:38 schrieb Per Jessen:
G T Smith wrote:
The wiki article below seems to suggest that implementing a form of
NAT for IPv6 is under discussion by the IETF...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv6

Also suggests the implementation is not exactly consistent (or as
simple as intended)...
NAT seems completely superfluous when the networks are dished out
as /64.

Well, the practicallity of NAT is that it allows you to bridge other networks
to the internet, which themselves ain't part of it. This might be interesting

if you want to hide your own network structure, especially if you may only
use
your uplink for one computer or if your own network is a playground and you
don't want to interfere with the rest, but maybe need some limited
connectivity to it.

With all the detailed discussion between the Big Guys and their
concerns, I still haven't been able to understand whether or how ipv6
handles my situation:

My home network is based on a wifi/router/firewall. I buy one line from
Cox. As I understand it, more IP addresses would cost correspondingly
more; I know this was true for my previous IP.

So it's very convenient for me to buy one address, connect my Netgear to
it, and use dhcp for the half-dozen devices I have in my home. Since
198.162.x.x addresses cannot pass through a router, my network is
private, and the firewall, set up to ignore all attempts at external
access, makes me invisible to the Internet unless one of my computers
initiates a transaction.

How does ipv6 handle this?

John Perry