Re: [opensuse] Practicalities of IPv6
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2009 17:41:50 +0100
Hans Witvliet wrote:

On Sun, 2009-10-25 at 14:23 +0100, Per Jessen wrote:
Is that a _real_ issue to worry about, Hans? If a customer is
IPv4-only, and his provider decides to offer IPv6 too without telling
the customer, I don't see that changing anything for the customer.
[snip]
I think so.
Systems can have their dhcp-set-up in different ways: IPV4-ONLY,
IPV6-ONLY and both IPv4 AND IPv6.
As long as your provider only hands out v4 addresses, all works well,
and the client just keeps on polling for ever.
But as soon as your ISP "sees the light" and gives you both an v4 AND
and v6 address, and your v6 rule-set is "accept anyone from anywhere"
you might (!) end up in shit-creek. <<<<<< find your system
compromised. Unless you have your ip6tables rule set changed to
default drop-anything, which implies that one has started to think/do
something with IPv6, which was the main issue i made.

I was considering that most consumer/commodity ADSL boxes do not yet
support IPV6, so the provider can advertise IPV6 as much as he wants,
it won't cause a problem. That was what happened on my system.

Anyway, what are the default SuSEfirewall settings for IPv6?

/Per

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (12.2°C)