Re: [opensuse] Practicalities of IPv6
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2009 10:16:30 +0100
Hans Witvliet wrote:

I friend of mine just bought a simple brother-printer, which support
IPv6. Not the first piece of equipment on my shortlist of stuff i
would want to support it, but they do, out of the box.

And as said: bsd, linux, slowaris, ios, hp-ux, xp, vista, they all
support it.

Operating systems. I took a quick look around to spot what I've got
that is IPv4-only:

Cisco SPA9XX phones.
Kyocera printers.
MySQL
Asterisk
APC SmartUPS
Leased servers in external datacentre
Netgear Wireless AP (one).
visiting peoples laptops.

better slowly grow into it, than have to do a crash action in a year
or two time. I shouldn't make it a top priority item on your agenda,
but make shure it is on your agenda.

If it's not on the top of the list, it most probably will slide further
down and end up not getting done :-(

I totally agree that any sane person (who is involved with computing)
should be at least thinking of IPv6. However, to suggest that it isn't
still bleeding edge (as Adam does) is just silly.

/Per

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (12.2°C)