Re: [opensuse] Practicalities of IPv6
  • From: James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 10:27:52 -0400
G T Smith wrote:
James Knott wrote:
Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
The problem is that consumer level routers don't support IPv6, at
least
in routing & NAT functions.

NAT = evil; there is no NAT in IPv6. One of the advantages of a huge
address space is that you can get rid of NAT.

Quite so. With IPv6, users are assigned a *HUGE* number of IP
addresses, which can be used as desired.

The wiki article below seems to suggest that implementing a form of NAT
for IPv6 is under discussion by the IETF...

I have heard about that too and don't understand why they'd need it.
They certainly don't need the address space NAT provides and if they
don't want a computer to be addressable from the net, then don't give it
an address that's reachable from the net. A computer can be assigned
the IPv6 equivalent of link local addresses or an address that's
available only on the local network etc. I have heard about using
addresses that don't contain the computer MAC address for security
concerns, but that's a whole different issue.