Re: [opensuse] Practicalities of IPv6
  • From: Matthias Bach <marix@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 12:36:47 +0200
Hi!

Am Freitag 23 Oktober 2009 11:28:38 schrieb Per Jessen:
G T Smith wrote:
The wiki article below seems to suggest that implementing a form of
NAT for IPv6 is under discussion by the IETF...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv6

Also suggests the implementation is not exactly consistent (or as
simple as intended)...

NAT seems completely superfluous when the networks are dished out
as /64.

Well, the practicallity of NAT is that it allows you to bridge other networks
to the internet, which themselves ain't part of it. This might be interesting
if you want to hide your own network structure, especially if you may only use
your uplink for one computer or if your own network is a playground and you
don't want to interfere with the rest, but maybe need some limited
connectivity to it.

Still I personally think a firewall should do for that and personally I am
looking forward to IPv6 because I will rid me of all the NAT hassle.

Regards,
Matthias
--
Matthias Bach