Re: [opensuse] Practicalities of IPv6
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 15:07:58 +0200
James Knott wrote:

Per Jessen wrote:
the one thing I can't quite tell is whether pppd will support
ipv4 and ipv6 at the same time. I also don't know if my provider
supports that, but at least I was able to verify that they do support
IPv6.

PPP is a level 2 protocol and supports whatever you can do with an
ethernet card. It is a IETF standard for providing packet based
networking over a serial line.

Yeah, my concern was more if the ppp daemon would cope with IPv4 and
IPv6 at the same time. I know can run multiple instances of pppd, but
AFAICT, my provider does not allow concurrent PPP logins with the same
name.

handle. The problem is that consumer level routers don't support IPv6,
at least in routing & NAT functions.

Yeah, thats why I started looking at running the ADSL box in bridge
mode.

/Per

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (10.6°C)