Re: [opensuse] Practicalities of IPv6
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 20:56:30 +0200
Hans Witvliet wrote:

On Sun, 2009-10-18 at 19:02 +0200, Per Jessen wrote:

Hardware - does anyone want to recommend an ADSL router with IPv6
support? We've been using Zyxel for the last five years, and I've
been looking at Zyxels 662, but I've grown a little wary of Zyxel
(support
in particular). A new router would require solid IPv6 support plus
SNMP and syslog ditto.

afaicr,was the latest Fritz-router 7270 (both annex-A and annex-B)
capable of doing ipv6 (download firmware from fritz)

I've been researching this quite a bit today, and have yet to find a
manufacturer which explicitly lists IPv6 support. During some more
googling, I came across a suggestion of simply running the ADSL router
in bridge mode, and leaving all the IP handling to the next system,
i.e. a firewall/gateway box. This sounds quite enticing, although it
would mean making the firewall/gateway also do the ADSL
authentication/login etc. I guess it would be kind of similar to the
old days with pppd and all that.

Does anyone have any practical experience with running an ADSL router in
bridge mode?

/Per

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (3.9°C)