Re: [opensuse] Re: Practicalities of IPv6
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 10:14:51 +0200
Chris Hills wrote:

On 18/10/09 19:02, Per Jessen wrote:
Rather than hijacking Robert Days thread, I thought I'd start a
separate one on the practicalities of IPv6:

Co-existence:
if someone were to go IPv6-only, how is access for IPv4-only clients
achieved? Ie. if I move to an IPv6-only network, how do IPv4-only
clients deal with it? Do I need to do anything?

My web-server is IPv6-only. I provide a fallback to an IPv4 web proxy,
and same for e-mail. However, if your DNS servers are only
IPv6-accessible, then none of your services will be available to
clients that do not have access to an IPv6-connected caching/recursive
DNS server (i.e. a huge majority of the current internet).

Right, so running both IPv4 and IPv6 will be required for quite a while,
if not forever.

Dual-stack on ADSL - is it possible to have IPv4 and IPv6 on the same
ADSL line? (ignoring whether or not a supplier would support it).

Yes, there are some ISPs in Europe that provide a dual-stack service.
A&A in the UK comes to mind. Sadly here in Denmark IPv6 has yet to
make any impact, even with FTTH providers.

IPv6 has yet to make much impact anywhere. Who is A&A? I'm sure they
won't be available in Switzerland, but their site might give me some
hints wrt hardware for instance.

/Per

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (3.8°C)