[opensuse] Re: Practicalities of IPv6
  • From: Chris Hills <chaz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 00:27:11 +0200
On 18/10/09 19:02, Per Jessen wrote:
Rather than hijacking Robert Days thread, I thought I'd start a separate
one on the practicalities of IPv6:

Co-existence:
if someone were to go IPv6-only, how is access for IPv4-only clients
achieved? Ie. if I move to an IPv6-only network, how do IPv4-only
clients deal with it? Do I need to do anything?

My web-server is IPv6-only. I provide a fallback to an IPv4 web proxy, and same for e-mail. However, if your DNS servers are only IPv6-accessible, then none of your services will be available to clients that do not have access to an IPv6-connected caching/recursive DNS server (i.e. a huge majority of the current internet).

Dual-stack on ADSL - is it possible to have IPv4 and IPv6 on the same
ADSL line? (ignoring whether or not a supplier would support it).

Yes, there are some ISPs in Europe that provide a dual-stack service. A&A in the UK comes to mind. Sadly here in Denmark IPv6 has yet to make any impact, even with FTTH providers. Your alternatives are 6to4, Teredo and a tunnel (6in4, AYIYA or some other VPN). Two of the best known IPv6 tunnel providers are Hurricane Electric and SixXS.

P.S. I have compiled a list of all-known (I hope!) Google IPv6 addresses - http://go.chaz6.com/841. Normally these are only available if your DNS server is on their whitelist. Sadly none of their DNS servers are IPv6-accessible.