Re: [opensuse] openSUSE 11.1-Repositories question
  • From: "Rajko M." <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2009 04:57:59 -0600
On Saturday 31 January 2009 03:01:48 am Jay Mistry wrote:
I have a couple of questions about online repositories:

1)
Am giving example of the KDE repos (at
en.opensuse.org/KDE/Repositories) (HTML not allowed, so initial
h**p:// had to be deleted).

The links are allowed on the list, so no need to remove http:// from URL.

The html formatting is not allowed.

But this question also applies to other
repo's as well.

What is the difference between:

- Version: Factory. (the first entry for a given repo, e.g. 'KDE
Core Packages', 'KDE Community', etc.)
- The specific version numbers for that repo that follow. (e.g.
each of the above repos has a different URL for openSUSE versions
10.3, 11 & 11.1)

I am confused whether I should add the Factory and/or the version-specific
repo.

You have to add whole link. For instance for KDE4 and openSUSE 11.1 :
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE%3A/KDE4%3A/Factory%3A/Desktop/openSUSE_11.1/
or
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/KDE4:/Factory:/Desktop/openSUSE_11.1/

otherwise YaST package management will not find repo data and will refuse to
use link.

Better option is to use 1-click links on:
http://en.opensuse.org/KDE4
they will add repository and install packages.
If you see dependency problems, just allow YaST to downgrade or remove few
packages that create problem. In my case there was only 3 files that made
whole bunch of problems.

2)
What is the significance of 'Auto-refresh' & 'Enabled' in the YaST
Software Repositories module ?

Enabled checked, means that repository will be used, not checked, repository
is ignored, like it is not in the list.

Auto-refresh checked, means that Software Management will check is repository
content changed on start. You can always refresh them manually.

In case that Auto-refresh is checked and Enable not, then YaST will not
autorefresh repository.

For repositories under http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/ you don't
need autorefresh as they don't change once they are published.
For links under http://download.opensuse.org/update/ you need autorefresh
enabled.
For links under http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/ basically is the
same as for update, but changes there are mostly not critical security fixes,
so if autorefresh is not enabled the worst thing that can happen is that
Software Management will complain about dependencies. I keep autorefresh
enabled, but if I don't want to use some repository, I uncheck "Enabled" and
it doesn't appear in YaST (and it is not autorefreshed).

--
Regards, Rajko