[opensuse] Re: Who is using Gnome?
  • From: Richard Ibbotson <richard.ibbotson@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 16:05:39 +0000
On Friday 30 January 2009 15:56:15 Robert Paulsen wrote:
For me, KDE4 looks to be not worth the learning curve. Since KDE4
forces me to learn *something* new and less usable than KDE3 it
seems worth considering Gnome.
I'd be interested in hearing from those who use it and what their
experiences are.

Had I not been with the KDE and Gnome development team since KDE 0.99
I might have thought that there was something wrong with KDE 4.xx.
However, I know that any new release of KDE will not work until
something like the x.2 or x.3 release. Takes a long time to write
desktop software. I've just switched to KDE 4.2. Seems to be stable
and usable. Things are still missing but it works.

What's new for me is the AWN desktop manager....

http://wiki.awn-project.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

Using this in Gnome with a lot of KDE 4.2 I have a (almost) Mac
lookalike desktop which is GPL'd. Which suits me fine. Just deleted
my Mac 10.1 iMac desktop and put PPC Linux into it.

Very nice. Sophisticated. Tasteful. Reliable. What else... Oh..
yeh... just great to have the same thing on my EeePC which I can use
anywhere.... with 3 mobile broadband - www.three.co.uk

--
Richard
www.sheflug.org.uk