Re: [opensuse] Re: Important system files/folders to back-up
  • From: Jay Mistry <jaylinux53@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 14:06:34 +0530
On my home network, I daily backup

/etc and /usr/local/etc completely.
/var/{backups,named,pgk-get,sadm,spool,yp}
/var/lib/{apt,mailman,mysql,pgsql,ldap,named,samba,rpm,zypp,nagios}
/root
/boot/grub

I don't use any database/server apps (also not familiar with those);
as mentioned this is just a stand-alone home PC for general
(documents, Internet, etc + to learn Linux) use; so minus those, would
probably backup the other dirs. Basically, was not sure of the main
directories (folders) to be backed up on a Linux system. Also, /home
(all) and /etc (all).

This, I do from a bootable 'live CD' (I personally prefer the 'Parted
Magic 3.5 CD), rather than login as 'root' into a working system.

partition infos
list of installed rpms

How does one backup those (esp. 'partition infos' ) ?
(I believe the list of installed RPM's can be backed up as an .xml
file (from YaST --. Software Management) ?

Of course, this is heavily influenced by the way that I use and
configure my systems. You might want to look at the appended backup
script and use ideas from it. (It won't run in your environment.)

In my company, the answer is simple: We backup everything, no
selection at all.

HTH,
Joachim

Even with modifications, I am not an advanced Linux user to be able to
configure and run scripts...just begun using Linux about 3 months back
& and also not a computer professional.

This is a dual-boot system with Windows XP (earlier OS) also installed
& I switch b/w Windows & openSUSE 11.1. I backup the Windows partition
(C;/) using a Norton Ghost 2003 bootable CD. However, I cannot use
this for Linux as NG 2003 will not see Linux file systems (all Linux
partns are .ext3). So, I used the "partimage" program from the above
'Parted Magic' CD to backup / (root) and /home partitions to another
partition on the same hard disk. This is the first time I have used
'partimage', so even though partition images were created
successfully, I am not sure if they will be able to be restored
successfully.

Thanks for the advice though,

Jay
==