[opensuse] Re: dual boot issues
  • From: upscope <russbucket@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 14:10:54 -0800
M Harris wrote:

On Sunday 25 January 2009 07:39, Dave wrote:
If not, would anyone be interested in helping me figure this one out?
What happens... symptoms please?

I have my daughters ACER laptop dual booting between wishta and
opensuse
10.3/ I had an interesting problem that I've never encountered... the
first few times that wishta started it gave me a black screen and fatal
startup errors... like it could tell that something was very wrong with
the MBR and wasn't happy about it. On about the fourth bootup wishta
began
working "as normally as you might expect it too... it sucks..." and the
dual boot has
worked since---very strange behavior. I am wondering if they have
finally
rigged W7 so that dual boot will be a royal pain./ (sour grapes
stuff?) ... just guessing of course. I don't plan running W7... and
wouldn't even have wishta if it hadn't come preloaded on my daughter's
ACER... we will probably drop it... it can't really do anything and I'm
not about to buy any windows software!

An alternative maybe to install VirtualBox and install Vista on it. That
eliminates the dual boot issues.

I have openSUSE 11.1 with Virtualbox running XP. The only reason I keep
XP is for TurboTax, it won't run under wine or codeweaver crossover pro.