[opensuse] User name typo error when installing oS - how to rectify
  • From: Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 23:30:00 +1100
When I installed 11.1 the other day I mistyped the user name and ended
up with having "fed" instead of "fred" as my user name and consequently
the home directory is also named "fed".

I want to change it to "fred".

If I booted into the oS with init 1, issued the command

chown -R fred.users /home/fed

and then altered in Yast's User Management the user "fed" to "fred"
(after logging in as root) and also renamed the current home directory
to "fred" and rebooted the system, would this rectify the typing error I
made - with no ill effects on the system?

(Oh yes- I would also clean out the /tmp directory.)

Any suggestions (polite ones of course) would be most welcome.

Ciao.

--
"I do not instruct the uninterested; I do not help those who fail to try. If I
mention one corner of a subject and the pupil does not deduce therefrom the