Re: [opensuse] Organize Your Digital Photos - exiftool and jhead
  • From: Manne Merak <mannemerak@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 11:18:02 +0200
Randall R Schulz wrote:
On Wednesday January 28 2009, David C. Rankin wrote:

like a filename of the form YYYY-mm-DD-HHMMSS.jpg. For example:

2009-01-27-165238.jpg

I have to differ with this. File names cannot and should not contain
metadata. It's the least capacious and accessible and the most limited
place for such information, and a date alone is not likely to tell you
much, especially for a day that was busy and on which you collected
many photos.

It's the same thing with file names. They're arbitrary and if you want
to be able to find things, it has to be based on their content.

Let you camera name the files whatever gibberish it wants. Use a proper
image database program, local or Internet-based, to extract, catalog
and enable searching.

On this, how do you people backup your photos?
I have dirs (made manually) with photos in them taken for different
purposes:
ie. Holiday_2008_12
------> Aquarium
------> etc

But other sessions are ongoing - like nature photos I categorize differently
ie Nature
------> Landscapes
---------> Location1
---------> Location2
------> Bugs
etc
These dirs just grows as I add photos to it.

Now... getting to backup - the first is easy to backup - just write once
somewhere (DVD, externalHDD, whatever)
The second is difficult unless you just dump the whole lot every time -
but these dirs get BIG.
Would be nice to have some app that can create a filelist of photos
taken after a specific date; which Im sure can be done with
exiftool/jhead? You can then feed this list to your favorite backup prog.

Manne