Re: [opensuse] Organize Your Digital Photos - exiftool and jhead
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 22:40:46 -0600
Carlos E. R. wrote:

On Wednesday, 2009-01-28 at 13:33 -0600, David C. Rankin wrote:

Just thought I would pass this along for the benefit of those that
haven't
found exiftool and jhead yet.

Thanks, I save for possible future use.

I'll pass along another "trick": you can have a lot of files, like
photos, organized in any way, and the same bunch hardlinked to another
set of names and directories using an altogether diferent method. The
files are not duplicated, it doesn't need more space, it is just the
directories and files names which are redone.

So, you might have an structure with the original names, another with
dates, another with travels, another with people... the hard thing is
getting an script or something that creates the organization.

-- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.

Now that is a great idea as well.

What prompted this now was my current push to get all 8000 files in my
family
gallery2 album. I know gallery 2 doesn't care what the names are, but the
gibberish names drove me nuts every time someone would say, "Hey can you shoot
me a copy of the picture from the lake last October?" I simply want to do: echo
"here it is" | mail -s "the picture" address -a filename, done. So before I
started putting everything in gallery, I wanted a good logical structure to
deal with.

Gallery2 essentially does exactly what you are talking about for photos
on the
local server. You have the option when adding photos to an album 'from local
server' to check the file name and check create as link. Another great feature
of gallery2.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC