Re: [opensuse] Organize Your Digital Photos - exiftool and jhead
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 17:28:27 -0800
On Wednesday January 28 2009, Constantinos Maltezos wrote:
On Wednesday 28 January 2009 2:16:19 pm Per Jessen wrote:
Randall R Schulz wrote:
On Wednesday January 28 2009, David C. Rankin wrote:
Listmates,

Many of you already know, but for those that don't, one of the
biggest pains about digital cameras is organizing the hundreds
or thousands of 103Z2987.jpg files into a meaningful file
structure that allows you to find pictures when you need them.

A filename like 103Z2987.jpg doesn't tell me anything about that
photo except that it came from my wife's camera because I set
her camera to create 103Z... files. ...

2009-01-27-165238.jpg

I have to differ with this. File names cannot and should not
contain metadata.

Yeah, I agree. Metadata belongs somewhere else - in the inode, the
exif data, extended attributes etc.

And I suppose your mp3/ogg files are all named like astronomers name
celestial bodies? ;)

I don't know if you mean me or Per, but my MP3 files are named whatever
someone else or some ripping software named them. I organize and acces
them by their internal metadata alone. I never see the files. Why would
I want to?

Files are just a big pain in the ass. Naming them, finding them, losing
them, inadvertently destroying them. And placing them in hierarchies,
while enticing, is utterly inadequate for true organization of anything
as complex as an individual's or an organization's information
resources. The sooner file systems are buried (but not, of course,
dead), the better off we'll all be. I think that was one of the
principles of the Oxygen project, and I don't doubt will stumble back
to it eventually.

Randall Schulz