Re: [opensuse] Organize Your Digital Photos - exiftool and jhead
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 18:51:07 -0600
Randall R Schulz wrote:
On Wednesday January 28 2009, David C. Rankin wrote:
Listmates,

I have to differ with this. File names cannot and should not contain
metadata. It's the least capacious and accessible and the most limited
place for such information, and a date alone is not likely to tell you
much, especially for a day that was busy and on which you collected
many photos.

It's the same thing with file names. They're arbitrary and if you want
to be able to find things, it has to be based on their content.

Let you camera name the files whatever gibberish it wants. Use a proper
image database program, local or Internet-based, to extract, catalog
and enable searching.

David C. Rankin

Randall Schulz

Point well taken, and to an extent, I agree, but picture files don't
always
reside in nice little directories only accessed by image database programs that
automatically parse exif data for you and order the photographs by exif
CreateDate. Sometimes photo files get copied for use in project a, or project b
along with other photo files where the gibberish filenames are worthless and
there is no automagical database program for exif parsing.

Or what if the wife wants to copy birthday files to disk or email for
prints.
Again, gibberish filenames are completely useless. Telling her, "honey, just
look at the picture in the database and copy down the filename and then go copy
that from the server to disk" doesn't cut it either. Saying
f:/family_pictures/2008/04 works just fine.

Not to mention the control you gain from being able to manage or copy
the
photos from the command line, konqueror, windows explorer, etc.. For me, it was
well worth the effort.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC