Re: [opensuse] Organize Your Digital Photos - exiftool and jhead
  • From: Constantinos Maltezos <pandarsson@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 18:39:03 -0600
On Wednesday 28 January 2009 2:16:19 pm Per Jessen wrote:
Randall R Schulz wrote:
On Wednesday January 28 2009, David C. Rankin wrote:
Listmates,

Many of you already know, but for those that don't, one of the
biggest pains about digital cameras is organizing the hundreds or
thousands of 103Z2987.jpg files into a meaningful file structure that
allows you to find pictures when you need them.

A filename like 103Z2987.jpg doesn't tell me anything about that
photo except that it came from my wife's camera because I set her
camera to create 103Z... files. What I want in a filename is
information that tells me when the picture was taken that will sort
in chronological order no matter what I am looking at them with. I
like a filename of the form YYYY-mm-DD-HHMMSS.jpg. For example:

2009-01-27-165238.jpg

I have to differ with this. File names cannot and should not contain
metadata.

Yeah, I agree. Metadata belongs somewhere else - in the inode, the exif
data, extended attributes etc.

And I suppose your mp3/ogg files are all named like astronomers name celestial
bodies? ;)