Re: [opensuse] Anti-virus in Linux (openSUSE 11.1), is it required ?
  • From: G T Smith <grahamsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 10:49:38 +0000

James Knott wrote:
Sunny wrote:
On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 3:10 PM, Larry Stotler <larrystotler@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 12:38 PM, James Knott <james.knott@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

I have a separate firewall, so I don't enable it on my other computers.
The
main purpose for AV on Linux is when it's used a server for Windows boxes.
Viruses are not an issue for Linux.

Agreed. Almost all routers have a firewall built-in so it's kinda
pointless to have a firewall running on a desktop behind one. On a
laptop, that's a different story. I always disable the firewall on my
desktops.

There's a small chance if there's an infected windows machine on the
network (or even let a friend with an infected machine to join your
wifi) that exposes your desktop to a risk. Again - small chance, but

Given there are no Windows machines, infected or otherwise, that's not
an issue here.

This is not really just a Windows related issue, a "gateway" firewall is
probably adequate against external threats in most home or small
commercial environment where incoming external access is not the norm
but in a more complex environment the possibility of an internal threat
is always there, and the external firewall could be circumvented by
unintended or intended internal collaboration (e.g. a compromised web
server). So some machines may need some additional protection against
such possibilities (either by zoning or other methods).

The more complex an environment becomes the more likely a security
breach is to occur, so ones security structure should ideally adapt to
infrastructure and service changes.

- --
telephone.

Bjarne Stroustrup