Re: [opensuse] bug in kernel-source-2.6.27.13-2.1 from http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Kernel:/HEAD/openSUSE_Factory/
  • From: Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 13:18:31 +1100
Philipp Thomas wrote:
On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 00:16:42 +1100, you wrote:

The problem is pointing at the kernel and not the nVidia driver. But
what would I know.

If Nvidia provides a driver whose binary part depends on paravirt, the
driver is broken and not the kernel! At least Nvidia should then provide
two drivers, one for a kernel with and one without paravirtualisation
support. That is one of the problems when choosing to go the binary-only
route.

And as user of binary-only drivers (BTW, I also use the nvidia driver) you
have to expect problems like that.

Philipp

I take your point, but the question has to be asked is why was
paravirtualisation removed from the kernel? Is this removal then also to
be implemented in the general Linux kernel or is this only a Novell
kernel specific "fiddle"?

Ciao.

--
"I do not instruct the uninterested; I do not help those who fail to try. If I
mention one corner of a subject and the pupil does not deduce therefrom the