RE: [opensuse] dhcp on Suse 11.0
  • From: "James D. Parra" <Jamesp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 14:14:12 -0800

On Tuesday 27 January 2009 19:58:17 James D. Parra wrote:
Thanks again, David, but I had previously tried all of those to no avail.
think there is something dhcp server side that Vista is expecting. There
is
no firewall on the server and all other workstations get IP addresses.

I seem to recall having an issue with windows once, that if it felt a
certain
IP address belonged to it, where the dhcp server disagreed, windows would
only
request that address, disregard the NAK, and never send a DISCOVER request.

If my memory isn't deceiving me here, the solution would then be to force it

to release the address (something like ipconfig /release I believe, but I am

very much not a windows user)
~~~~~~~~~~~

So this is interesting. I copied the dhcpd.conf file to a Suse 10.0 box and
started the server and behold, the Vista boxes could now get and IP address
(and so could a Panasonic printer which could also not get an IP address
from a dhcp server running on Suse 11).

I don't know much about the protocol, but I think the problem may lie with
the dhcpd6 on 11. That is what was missing from the Fedora box & the Suse
10.0 box.

Is that possible? And if so, can I disable the IP6/dhcp6 part of the dhcp
server running on Suse 11?

Thanks again,

James