Re: [opensuse] Grub Confusion
  • From: Josef Reidinger <jreidinger@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 17:30:02 +0100
Jim Flanagan wrote:
Josef Reidinger wrote:
Jim Flanagan wrote:

I'm having confusion with Grub (will try to keep this from seeming like
a shell game). I've got two 11.0 installs. When I do updates on one (esp
kernel) the other one won't boot after restart. Just using Suse updater
here. The first install on sda2 was upgraded from a previous 10.3
install. The second was a fresh test install of 11.0 on sda6.

Originally I had the 10.3 install on sda2. Then I did the fresh test
install of 11.0 on sda6. At that point grub was booting both installs
fine, and the 11.0 grub on sda6 was updated after kernal updates, for
both installs. However after I did the upgrade on sda2 from 10.3 to
11.0, the references to initrd... and vmlinuz... are not being updated,
Yast is getting confused. This is worsened by the confusion I'm having
over straitening this out. When I do a kernel update on sda2, it changes
the sda2/boot/grub/menu.1st, but the MBR does not get updated, it is
taking that from sda6/boot. If I do an kernel upgrade on sda6, it will
update the booting grub, but then I can't boot into the sda2 install(
the one I use).

So, I have several times since, manually updated the /boot/grub/menu.1st
on sda6 pointing it to the right boot parameters on sda2, but would like
to straighten this out for good. I can delete the test install on sda6,
but want to make sure I have the correct grub files on sda2. What is the
best way for me to fix this issue?

TIA,

Jim F

Hi, your problem(I think from your description) is that you rewrite by
both installation your mbr. What I suggest is let one system stay in
disc MBR and other one install to root partition and chainload from disc
MBR to this root partition.

So first one is set as write boot code to MBR and added chainload
section to partition where you have second installation.
And second one is set as write to root partition.

JR

What looks like is happening to me is, sda2 install is writing to
sda2/boot/grub. But that info is not showing on the grub boot screen.
The sda6/boot/grub info is. Can I just copy the sda6/boot/grub/menu.1st
to sda2/boot/grub/? If so, how do I set yast to tell sda2 to control the
boot setting instead of sda6?

Jim F

OK, MBR of disc decide who boot...if sda2 or sda6...so exist two
possibilities. At first there is grub mbr which show one of that file.
Second is that there is generic boot code and that chainload to
partition MBR which have set active flag.

So if first option occur then you can handy overwrite that mbr (grub ->
grub setup (hd0) (hd0,1) and quit)
If second you can mark partition as active or not active in parted via
set flag command (read help for correct syntax).

If you just copy menu.lst, it also work until you update kernel on
anyone system, then it stop booting (as it doesn't automatic change
menu.lst)
JR