Re: [opensuse] No boot screen anymore...
  • From: "Dominique Leuenberger" <Dominique.Leuenberger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 16:41:16 +0100
On 1/26/2009 at 4:35 PM, JB2 <yonaton@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hey gang,

After an kernel update with Yast (last year...took me a while to
remember to
ask about this!), when I rebooted my (10.3) system, instead of a nice
green
(or hope of hope, the penguins) screen, I get a bunch of words in a
large(ish) font scrolling by real fast before the login screen finally
pops
up (it looks like the stuff one would later find in /var/log of
somekind).

What happened? Why did a kernel update change my nice green screen
to this
suddenly? How do I get my screen back instead of this humongous
ugliness of
gibberish scrolling along? Is it something to do with menu.lst, which
this is
what mine looks like:

I'd suggest you check your /boot/grub/menu.lst file.
Make sure you have a line like

gfxmenu (hd0,0)/message

in there... otherwise you get the 'text only' menu.

hd(0,0) might be wrong... Check in the section of Linux the root parameter...
it should point to the same disk.

Dominique