Re: [opensuse] off-list messages
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 11:41:09 +0100 (CET)

On Monday, 2009-01-26 at 10:52 +0100, Pit Suetterlin wrote:

Carlos E. R. wrote:

I sent a couple of replies to - I thought - the mailing list, but not seeing
them show up, I went to look in my sent folder and it appears that when I hit
the "r" key on my keyboard, it sent them to individuals rather than the list.

Intentional list behaviour >:-)

Is there a reason not to add a Reply-to header to the mails sent via the list,
as many other lists do? I also find the current behavior a bit
inconvenient...

Read the faq - opensuse+help@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Basically, that would be altering headers that belong to the sender user.

Q2. Why do my replies go to the original poster and not the list?
A2. We do not "munge" the mail headers by inserting
a "Reply-To: suse-linux-e@xxxxxxxx" because it makes it more
difficult subscribers to handle the mail the way they want to.
Your mail client probably has a "reply" function as well as a
"reply to all" or "reply to list" one; Please use the latter if
you want you message to go to the list and not just to the
original poster.

Also, please don't complain about this on the list, it has
been discussed many, many, many times in the past already.

For background information see

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.