Re: [opensuse] mdadm keeps breaking my array
  • From: Dave Plater <dave.plater@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 09:52:29 +0200
Carlos E. R. wrote:

On Sunday, 2009-01-25 at 12:06 -0000, Bob Williams wrote:

On Sunday 25 January 2009 11:36:54 Carlos E. R. wrote:

There is another possibility. Some manufacturers, like seagate, have a
stand alone utility that run those tests under control of the cpu,
including controller and cable test (so they say). It is a floppy or
iso bootable image.

These drives are Western Digital Caviar Greens. I don't remember getting
any CD/floppy with them, but I admit I don't pay much attention when I
do, as utility disks supplied with hardware are generally designed
to run
under Windows.

I'll have a look on the WD website, though. Thanks for the tip.

Yes, Seagate has the utility for download somewhere on their site. You
don't get the floppy/cd unless you buy the thing in a nice box on one
of those nice computer supermarket stores.

As to being a windows program... not quite, it is a boot diskette or
cd, usually with freedos or msdos, some times perhaps linux. Different
manufacturer do things differently, though. I could not find the up to
date Fujitsu utility, for instance.

-- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.

The "Ultimate Boot CD" has most of the disk manufacturer's utilities on it.
Regards
Dave P