Re: [opensuse] mdadm keeps breaking my array
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 18:24:43 +0100 (CET)

On Sunday, 2009-01-25 at 15:37 -0000, Bob Williams wrote:

Well, I just looked at the Western Digital website. They provide
diagnostic tools for DOS or Windows, but it doesn't look as if these
tools do anymore than smartctl can do.

The one from Seagate does a bit more. It has two alternatives: run the internal tests, which is the same as smartctl does, or run equivalent tests from the cpu. The second class of tests include the connection from the computer to the disk, as data has to travel the cables (the internal tests are run entirely by the HD firmware, ie, inside only).

I don't know about other manufacturers from personal experience, so I can't comment; but I expect they are similar.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.