Re: [opensuse] Re: linux in multiboot
  • From: Amedee Van Gasse <amedee@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 13:41:21 +0100
Joe(theWordy)Philbrook schreef:

About pitfalls, I'd recommend being real careful about sharing /home
between different distributions. As different distros, and sometimes
different releases of the same distro, often feature different releases
of various applications. Many of which needs to find it's rc files in
$HOME. This matters when an upgraded application from one uses an rc
file that is no longer compatible with the older version of the
application still in the other distro's installation.

Thanks!
So I should make sure that the apps are all the same version in all
distros, or another solution is to make a separate data partition.

As to the /boot I'd have to suggest choosing one distro to manage the
bootloader. You should be able to manually copy the vmlinuz and initrd
files from the other distro's /boot to the one you let install to the
mbr. Then manually add appropriate boot instructions to it's menu.lst,
grub.conf, or lilo.conf so that it can boot the other distros.

OK, good idea. I think I'll use a special "bootloader" distribution.
Felix Miata mentioned DFSee & Knoppix. I know Knoppix as a livecd/rescue
cd distro. I don't know DFSee but I'll check it out.

I don't know squat about LVM or raid. I simply use fdisk or cfdisk to
partition my hard drives. I created a /boot partition that none of the
distro's automatically update by copying one of the /boot directories to
a separate partition (hd0,1) aka /dev/sda2 editing the root lines in
it's grub.conf to point at (hd0,1), and then temporarily mounting it
on /boot long enough to reinstall grub to the mbr... After that any
time I install a linux I always poke around the advanced bootloader
settings in the installer menu until I find a way to either install
the bootstrap to floppy /dev/fd0 or to the distro's / partition. That
way when a distribution update changes the kernel, it will update the
files in it's /boot making it easy to copy the necessary changes to
the files in my boot partition. Another advantage of a distro
installing it's boot loader to it's / partition is that then I can add
a choice to my boot's grub that chainloads the bootloader in that
distro's /partition which will usually continue to work without manual
intervention even after the said distro automatically changes it's boot
configuration.

Grub doesn't know squat about LVM and raid either, except raid1
(mirroring). That's why I can't put /boot in LVM. I think it won't be
possible for me to chainload a bootloader on an LVM partition.

I like your idea about having more than one /boot. I also like the idea
about fooling the automagic bootstrap thingies with a floppy bootloader.

I will try a few things and report back to the list.

--
Amedee