Re: [opensuse] Boot error with kernel 2.6.22.19-0.1 or later
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2009 19:06:55 -0600
Scott Simpson wrote:
SuSE 10.3

If I install any kernel after 2.6.22.19-0.1 I get the errors

Attempting manual resume
Waiting for device /dev/sda2 to appear:
!boot/01-devfunctions.sh: line 68: multipath: command not found

Does anyone know what's wrong? An earlier thread I found on this said
to download the RPMs and install manually and I tried that and it
doesn't work. I'm being forced to run old kernels.

Scott,

I was hit with that on an 'update' from 10.3 to 11.0. There is a bug
there
with the kernel installer and grub, but I haven't had time to chase down
exactly what is going on.

What I bet is happening on your kernel install is that when
/boot/grub/menu.lst is re-written, the installer is screwing up the kernel line
'root=' parameter. What you see is that when you boot, you get the grub menu
and you select your openSuSE 10.3 entry, then the machine starts to boot
normally and gets though the point where boot control is passed to
root=/dev/whatever which isn't found, and then you get:

Waiting for device /dev/sda2 to appear:

And you get a prompt to retry, etc..

I don't have a step by step recover for you, but this problem needs to
be
fixed. I know we have all the necessary mental horsepower on the list to do it.
I think the problem in your case is the misconfiguration of grub by the kernel
installer.

If you have 2.6.22.18 running now, you should make backups of the
following
files and post the contents to the list here:

/boot/grub/device.map
/boot/grub/device.map.old (if any)
/boot/grub/menu.lst

/etc/grub.conf
/etc/grub.conf.old (if any)
/etc/grub.conf.noboot (if any)

Then go load the 2.6.22.19-0.1 kernel and have the installer re-create
the
problem. (I hope you have another computer you can email on while this gets
sorted out) Then post the same files as modified by the kernel install.

With that information, I'm sure either I or someone smarter on the boot
process here can get you through this issue.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC