[opensuse] linux in multiboot
  • From: Amedee Van Gasse <amedee@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2009 19:33:00 +0100
Hello,

Currently I'm running OpenSuse 11.1 32bit on an 2GHz AMD Athlon64 with 3
GiB RAM.
I have 3 SATA disks: 112 GiB + 112 GiB + 186 GiB.
sda1, sdb1 and sdc1 are 1 GiB and form md0 (RAID1) where /boot lives.
The rest of the disk space lives in LVM. I have:
/dev/system/root = / = 50 GiB
/dev/system/home = /home = 100 GiB
/dev/system/swap = swap = 6 GiB
That leaves me with 251 GiB unpartitioned in LVM.

I would like to try 64bit Linux in a multiboot configuration, while
still keeping my 32bit installation. I would make another LVM partition
and share /boot, /home and swap. I could also run various other Linux
distributions (Debian, Ubuntu and Gentoo are on my list).

I think I won't have a lot of troble seting this up, but there is one
thing that worries me a bit: the /boot partition with the kernels and
the grub config. 1 GiB is room enough for a lot of different kernels,
but I'm worried that different Linux distributions have different ways
of "automagically" configuring grub.

What are the pitfalls that I should watch out for?

Kind regards,
Amedee