Re: [opensuse] mdadm keeps breaking my array
  • From: "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2009 00:10:27 -0600
Bob Williams wrote:

Actually, what I forgot to mention, is the two drives are attached to a
PCI SATA-RAID controller card. I rebooted the computer after posting my
last message, and on entering the card's setup, it appears the card has
also got these drives setup as a RAID1 array (I must have set this up
myself, sometime. Probably in a previous computer). I destroyed this
array, so the two drives are independent at this level, and rebooted.

This time, mdadm --manage is rebuilding the array again. After 90 minutes,
it's showing

#cat /proc/mdstat
Personalities : [raid1]
md0 : active raid1 sdd1[1] sdc1[0]
976759864 blocks super 1.0 [2/1] [U_]
[===>.................] recovery = 17.9% (174884480/976759864)
finish=550.0min speed=24294K/sec
bitmap: 124/466 pages [496KB], 1024KB chunk

unused devices: <none>

so I'll be optimistic, and assume the two RAID setups were tripping over
each other.

If it fails again, I'll try your suggestion.

Thanks.

Bob

Bob,

This should not have mattered. I have almost an identical setup on an
11.1
box. I have a pci/sata controller card with the card configured as raid1 and
using mdraid. So far, I haven't had as much as a hiccup out of the setup (and
that is with my 6 year old daughter as its primary driver). I would vote for
swapping cables just to eliminate that as a problem before looking at more
costly options, but I wouldn't rule out sdd being the culprit.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC