Re: [opensuse] Should I go 64-bit?
  • From: Dave Plater <dave.plater@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 22:00:52 +0200
Randall R Schulz wrote:
On Friday January 23 2009, David Bolt wrote:

On Fri, 23 Jan 2009, Randall R Schulz wrote:-

On Friday January 23 2009, David Bolt wrote:

The code itself may be bigger but, looking at the sizes of
applications in /bin on both a 32bit and 64bit system, and the
libraries in /lib abd /lib64, I wouldn't say the sizes are
anything more than about 10% bigger.

Use the "size" command, not the file size.

Okay, here's the output for the first 20 files in /bin for a 64bit
and 32bit 10.3:

Yes, they are bigger, taking up more space on disc and more memory,
but nowhere near double the space. So, while the 64bit binaries are
close to 10% bigger and you'd probably need at least 10% more memory
to avoid using swap[0], that isn't really "substantial" especially
since you seem to be assuming that they are going to require double
the memory.

When I improve a metric of my software by 10%, that _is_ substantial,
and conversely if I make some measure 10% worse.

You're also ignoring dynamically allocated memory, which is very common
in contemporary appliations, often far exceeding the statically
allocated space requirements that are shown by the "size" command.

Randall Schulz

i've been testing and noting bugs since 10.3 and at 11.1 64 bit is more
stable than 32 bit.
Regards
Dave P