Re: [opensuse] mdadm keeps breaking my array
  • From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 12:57:48 -0600
On Friday 2009 January 23 12:14:42 Bob Williams wrote:
/home mounts a RAID1 mirrored array, /dev/md0, made up of two identical
1TB Western Digital disks, bought about 6 to 9 months ago.

mdadm has kicked one of these disks out of the array twice in the last 24
hours.

[T]onight it's happened again, and the same command results in

#mdadm --manage /dev/md0 --add /dev/sdd1
mdadm: Cannot open /dev/sdd1: Device or resource busy

Does this mean that sdd is failing and needs to be replaced? I sort of
know the answer I'm going to get, but thought I'd check here first, in
case I was missing something obvious.

Could be cable, controller, disk, or even some rare kernel bug, but it is
probably the disk. If you can get the RAID1 sync'd and healthy again, you
might try, shutting down, swapping the cables, and seeing if the problem
follows the disk or the cable.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ((_/)o o(\_))