Re: [opensuse] Should I go 64-bit?
  • From: Randall R Schulz <rschulz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 07:53:01 -0800
On Friday January 23 2009, David Bolt wrote:
On Fri, 23 Jan 2009, Randall R Schulz wrote:-

On Friday January 23 2009, David Bolt wrote:
The code itself may be bigger but, looking at the sizes of
applications in /bin on both a 32bit and 64bit system, and the
libraries in /lib abd /lib64, I wouldn't say the sizes are
anything more than about 10% bigger.

Use the "size" command, not the file size.

Okay, here's the output for the first 20 files in /bin for a 64bit
and 32bit 10.3:

Yes, they are bigger, taking up more space on disc and more memory,
but nowhere near double the space. So, while the 64bit binaries are
close to 10% bigger and you'd probably need at least 10% more memory
to avoid using swap[0], that isn't really "substantial" especially
since you seem to be assuming that they are going to require double
the memory.

When I improve a metric of my software by 10%, that _is_ substantial,
and conversely if I make some measure 10% worse.

You're also ignoring dynamically allocated memory, which is very common
in contemporary appliations, often far exceeding the statically
allocated space requirements that are shown by the "size" command.

Randall Schulz